Tonsillectomy Recovery after Day Eleven


At some point I hope to add pages for day 12, day 13, day 14, day 15, day 16, and another page for days 17,18,19, and 20.  For now, please share your tonsillectomy recovery experiences here.  I wish you the very best of health!

  1. ty
    Hey. Its me again. Had the surgery last week and OMG! The worst days of my life. I will make it but geeze!! This sucks bad. I had to read your comments again because I began to get depressed, lol. Im driving my husband and doctor crazy by keep asking them how long will this last. Its good hearing from someone that understands the process and pain. Your experiences are helping me through girl. Thanks again:)

    1. Kate
      Horrible flashbacks reading your message Ty! I have just returned from a business trip, meeting lots of new people, and I didn’t have to worry about my breath: so liberating and confidence building. I discovered that one of my colleagues had her tonsils removed 2 years ago – when I happened to mention that I was just a few weeks on from my operation, she gave me a big bear hug because she could empathise with my more recent experience. You WILL eat, sleep and enjoy life again – I promise! Stay positive: you made the right decision.

  2. Kate
    I am now four weeks post surgery (in the UK), and life is good! I had a tonsillectomy due to tonsil stones (I had small, pitted tonsils, and was unable to remove the stones myself, whatever method I tried) – private medical insurance and a past history of throat infections helped get me the surgery. I knew it was a drastic option, but I was prepared to do ANYTHING to solve my bad breath problems. I did nearly cancel when I read this forum the day before surgery though! But I didn’t, and I survived, and my tonsil stones and bad breath are finally GONE!Having found this forum so much help during the dark days post-surgery, I wanted to share my experience/what helped me. If you are about to have surgery, or are still in recovery, I can promise you it will get SO much better in a few days – hang in there!1. Don’t plan ANYTHING for the two weeks post surgery – and make sure you book at least two weeks off work. Days 5 – 8 were the worst for me, although in total I had about 10 days of constant pain/medication and sleep deprivation.
    2. I cried A LOT on day one – a mixture of the anesthesia/trauma, relief at getting through surgery, and pain! I had one night in hospital.
    3. Sucking on crushed ice helps a lot – make sure you have some in stock. I did not use a humidifier – we didn’t want to pump damp air into our bedroom!
    4. Take as much pain medication as you can – I used Tramadol, ibuprofen and paracetamol – you will not get addicted, and you WILL need them. But keep a drug diary so you can recall what drugs you took and when – you will not remember!
    5. Sleeping with my face/throat on a hot water bottle helped me a lot in days 5+: your throat muscles tighten up in response to the surgery, and I think this helped relax me a little
    6. The nights were the worst, as I would wake up in a lot of pain and then struggle to swallow more medication/get back to sleep. Listening to the radio really helped get me through the dark, lonely hours. My husband moved into the spare bed for the first 10 days, to ensure he could get some sleep and I could thrash around the bed as much as I needed to get comfortable!
    7. In the UK we are advised to eat rough food e.g. toast when we can. I did manage this a couple of times, but I mostly lived on soup (no bread!), fish in sauce (you can buy this frozen in handy microwaveable pouches), yogurt, porridge and hot chocolate. I tried making smoothies but the fruit was too acidic and hurt my throat. There were a couple of days when I could not face eating anything due to the pain. I did not get constipated, and I did not lose much weight – because I spent two weeks resting, and most of what I DID eat was high calorie!
    8. You will be too tired to read much – have a good set of DVDs on standby
    9. I did not have any bleeding. I felt so ill that completely resting in the first week was an easy option – and I made sure I had someone on call in the first few days, just in case
    10. I was able to speak on all days, although about half an hour of conversation was enough
    11. I went for my first short walk one week after surgery. Four weeks on, I am now exercising as normal – running, swimming and pilates.
    12. I stopped regular pain relief on about day 15, having gradually cut down on what I was taking.
    13. I gradually re-introduced different types of food after two weeks. I still have a sticky feeling in the back of my throat, which I expect to disappear over the coming weeks.My tonsillectomy recovery was the worst 10 days of my life. But ridding myself of tonsil stones is one of the best things I ever did!

    1. Ty
      Thank you for sharing. I also have tonsil stones and thought I may be going to far getting surgery to remove them. I’m a married woman and nothing’s is more damaging to a marriage than insecurity. TMI, I know just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experience. I’m going forwadr with the surgery.

      1. Kate
        I am also married (and 47 – forgot that bit!) and would not even discuss the problem with my husband. So I feel your insecurity! It will hurt a lot – stay focused on the goal and remember that in a few days you will be much better, and also liberated!

  3. Ellen Howard
    Day 9 of my recovery.I’m not sure how relevant this will be to anyone because I’m not entirely sure how common it is. I’m just turned 18 and have been having a lot of problems with my tonsils for the best part of three years. One thing I always found when digging out those god awful tonsil stones was that my tonsils were extremely prone to bleeding – something my ENT surgeon also found out on the day of the op!He said no one in his experience had bled that much in a tonsillectomy procedure in years. I had to be stitched right up on my right side and let me tell you, we all know how sore recovery is without stitches right? Imagine being wheeled out of theatre with those bad boys in you. It’s been sore, for the first few days it was the actual space at the top of the back of my throat that was painful and white and scabby. I was throwing up old blood so frequently (and a lot of it might I add) that I couldnt keep anything down; not food, not painkillers. It was awful.But I powered through and ate as much as I could, despite the pain, because I thought ‘you know what I’ve put up with enough sh*t from my tonsils this time I’m gonna show ‘em what I’m made of!’ And after about day three or four the pain subsided from my tonsil bed area and is now a horrible stingy/achy feeling further down my throat, which apparently is due to the whole stitching procedure, I guess a lot of tubes were bumped around in this process and it’s seriously bruised me inside. I find the pain really hits me at night and I’m starting to get severe earaches to accompany that, which is nice! My co-codamol painkillers ran out days ago so I’m going strong on paracetamol and Diclofenac.

    I hope everyone else is managing to power through! Just think of all the tonsillitus and nasty tonsil stones that you’re gonna get to avoid for the rest of your life! Remember, at most this recovery process is going to take 17-20 days, which in perspective, is more than worth it to be tonsil free!

    Stay safe xxx

  4. Lindsey
    I am a 24 year old female, I had my tonsils removed on July 23. I had my tonsils removed due to horrid tonsil stones. Let me start off by saying DRINK WATER NO MATTER HOW BAD IT HURTS!!!! Day 1: after procedure you’re so loopy from meds it flys by. I was offered a blue slushing and teddy Graham’s. 8 bags of teddy Graham’s later I am ready to keave!! After surgery I even had McDonald’s I don’t even remember eating it. Throat was numb all day long. I received percocet 5mg. All you will want to do is sleep. Have someone wake you up to drink and take meds!!Day 2: pain was still tolerable I started taking the pain medication every 4 hours so the pain doesn’t get out of control. I was eating mash potatoes ( the pre made bob Evans kind was the smoothest), I noticed ice cold water stung my throat so room temperature worked. I was drinking every 20 mins to keep the throat moist. Sleeping was horrible, I ended up sleeping on couch so my head would be propped up. Waking up every 45 mins to sip water, you get no sleep at all. I didn’t want my throat to dry out because it is so painful. I set my alarm every 4 hours so I would take my medicine.Day 3,4,5: Worst days ever! Extreme pain 10/10, that pain medicine didn’t help! Ear pain started kicking in. I had ice constantly on my throat to keep swelling down. Scabs were formed in back of throat very thick. Drinking water was a task. Everytime I swallowed felt like razorblades. I had to force myself to eat. Ended up getting a blood clot on my left tonsil on day5 and started bleeding. On call dr told me to drink ice cold water and it helped. Woke up after and blood clot resolved on its own. I was having mini hot flashes all day.Day 6: I felt like a new person. Pain was a 6/10. I was eating drinking taking my neds around the clock

    Day 7,8,9: scabs started falling off day 7. It feels like something is caught in back of throat when them fall off. Throat is very sensitive after they fall off that any liquid or food stings the throat. I have bumped my meds down to 1 pill every 4 hours instead of 2 pills. Sleeping longer through the night.

    Day 10 and on: pain has started to be controlled with Motrin. I feel 100% better!! I am starting to eat solid foods. I had PBJ sandwhich and it was easy to go down. I feel back to my normal self. Throat still hurts but just like it would as a sore throat.

    I think keeping myself hydrated non stopped helped with my speedy recovery. I go back to wk in a few days and feel comfortable going back. I still have to drink water so throat doesn’t get dry. My scabs are 75% gone. I’ve had someone with me the whole time and you DO need that. Milk never seemed to cause the phlegm in my throat as others posted. It soothed the burning. I lived off mash potatoes and chick n star soup mix for the first days. Keep taking medication when it’s due so pain stays under control!! Take the full two weeks off dr reccomends because you will need it. I would do this surgery again knowing it is going to cure my tonsil stones and stinky breath! Sorry this blog is all over the place my mind is going crazy! I hope everyone as a good recovery as well as I’ve had!

Check out our new tonsillectomy recovery video- Caution: Not always pretty

A collection of various experiences of adult tonsillectomy patients after their tenth day of tonsillectomy recovery
From thousands of post comments to the tonsillectomy recovery forum, I am assembling a sampling of various accounts and impressions of tonsillectomy recovery for each day. Below I share comments about tonsillectomy recovery after day 11. These comments are from tonsillectomy patients who were kind enough to share their experiences to help others as they navigate the bumpy road of tonsillectomy recovery.


Many will experience depression toward the end of of their tonsillectomy recovery.

Depression after tonsillectomy
Depression After Tonsillectomy?

-Greg Tooke 

334 thoughts on “Tonsillectomy Recovery Day 11 and Beyond

  1. Hey maybe I am lucky, but I had little to no pain after my tonsillectomy, and I am on day 5 right now eating some lo mein and I also had two pbj sandwiches. I am a 17 male. I will say this though, on the first and second day I was coughing up copious amounts of blood and phlegm, and on the second day I puked out lots of blood and pooped out very dark, blood infused poop. But here I am day 5 with little to no pain just taking about two extra strength tylenols a day. Im hoping this is the worst it gets, and hopefully I am fully healed soon. I got the operation due to me getting tonsillitis about 6 times and had to drain two peritonsillar abscesses, and this may be why I’m not phased by the pain. If you’ve ever had tonsillitis or an abscess of the tonsil, you would know that it is very very painful. Well glad to hear all the comments and glad to see people are getting out on the other side okay, if anyone reads this please let me know what you think or when you think I will heal!

  2. I’m on day 16. I have been through pure hell on earth!
    I’m 54 and have fought these tonsils for decades. So many infections and stones!
    I was in hospital 3 days. Had surgery on a Friday, then emergency bedside surgery the next evening. I bled like a stuck pig. Clots everywhere. Finally removal and cauterization of the right side tonsil clot and area.
    I’m a nurse so I’m a horrible patient. I live with chronic pain and I promise you I’d rather have another child drug free at 10 pounds than have this done again!
    Went for checkup 2 days ago on day 14.
    He said the microscopic on the tissue we’re something else. So much infection for so long it had many changes but no cancer!
    I was like well yeah I have been a great teaching case for LSUS Medical School for sure!
    I believe I will see light soon at the end of the tunnel!
    I have iced my neck and ears with rice in a big sport sock I keep in the freezer, it’s a great thing to have for this and other things!
    That sock and many drugs have saved for real!
    You can make this yourself, fill it a lil over half full of rice and tie huge double knot in the end. You can make a cover with any style cotton fabric. Then you use satin ties to close both ends to keep the sock from touching you.
    I have learned much from this. I looked and found this before surgery looking and thinking knowledge is power.
    We are in a kinda yucky club but we help each other.
    Know I’m praying for all of you that show this ongoing like me…right in the thick if this and THANK YOU for those who have gone before us to help us understand what’s going on.
    The pics I watched before helped me too, the scab info helped cause I went to freaking thinking I was gonna choke and that something was bad terrible wrong but then remembered the scab falling off stuff. Yeah I gagged at the thought but I knew what was happening.
    Together we can get through anything!
    My FB is Sheri Walker and I’m from West Monroe Louisiana
    Feel free to yak without talking out loud with me if ya like there.
    Prayers for rapid complete recovery and healing for all you guys and gals!
    Sheri Lynn Walker
    Surgery Nov 3, 2017

    1. Sheri thanks for sharing. I have been planning for 2 years to get my tonsils removed due to tonsil stones, which are ruining my social life. HOPEFULLY 2018 will bring me courage.

  3. I just got my tonsils out on October 25, 11 days ago. It was terrible but not as terrible as I thought, maybe bc i had so many cases of strep. Anyway day 1 wasn’t painful probably because of all the meds I was on. Days 2-3 were like a sore throat getting worse, nothing too bad. Day 4 i started expierincing a little ear pain & it hurt really bad to swallow. It was still tolerable. Days 5-8 were definitely the most painful intolerable pain everyone described. I couldn’t eat and barely drink because of the ear pain that came with swallowing. I was crying & only relied on pain meds. As day 9 came I had no ear pain & only a bit of pain swallowing. Day 10 & 11 I had pain of 1.5/10 at the most. I’m doing great & healed pretty quickly in my opinion. I’m 16 years old. it’s now day 11 & I’m alright feeling fine. I really hope there’s no pain coming ahead of me. All of my scabs are gone & i did experience bleeding but i stopped it by drinking cold water & sucking on ice. It gets better! I lived off applesauce & water. i was also prescribed oxycodone which i was afraid to take so i only took half of what was prescribed. Stay hydrated is the main key. I hope it’s a fast recovery for everyone!!

  4. Hi on day 10 and my god I was not prepared. I have to say there has been alot of times where i have considered calling to the local dealer for help or i wasnt going to see the next day . Over reacting god no.And like alot of people has said pain is different everyday.. my troath wasn’t really the problem ye was sore but could get over that it’s the ear pain holy Christ the ear pain was like a form of torture. I wanted to rip my face off half the time. And then half of my tongue is still numb some nerve is pressed on from swelling . And when your talking it’s like the muscles in your troath cramp up and the pain in horrible that’s still happen. I think I need another week off work until the numbness hopefully wears off . And the doctor lied about recovery. Was it worth it maybe in two weeks but I can finally take a deep breath without feeling restricted constantly of air which is a plus. Think I’d give birth quicker 🤤

  5. Day 11: Today is so much better!! I now just feel like I have a regular sore throat!! I actually ate something normal today! I honestly felt like it was never going to get better but today, I have hope.. Days 6-9 were the worst for me! Its only up hill from here! So if you are like me and stumbled across this and you just had a tonsillectomy. Remember there is hope! You can get through this! You are strong enough!! Best advice I can give, suck on a popsicle every time you wake up before you sip water.. The cold will numb your throat a bit before you drink and it will make your life easier!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.