Tonsillectomy Day 4 Post Op

Tonsillectomy Recovery Day by Day

 Day 4


A collection of various experiences of adult tonsillectomy patients on their fourth day post op of recovery


From thousands of post comments to the tonsillectomy recovery forum, I have assembled a sampling of various accounts and impressions of tonsillectomy recovery for each day. Below I share comments about tonsillectomy day 4. These comments are taken from tonsillectomy patients who were kind enough to share their experiences to help others as they navigate the bumpy road of tonsillectomy recovery.

Please feel free to add your own experience with tonsillectomy day 4.
-Greg Tooke 

Tonsillectomy Day 4 post op
Tonsillectomy Day 4


I’m currently at the end of Day 4 since my combined tonsillectomy, balloon sinuplasty, and septoplasty. I’m 25 years old This has by no means been a walk in the park so far, but it honestly isn’t as bad as I had feared it would be. Back in October I had an abscess inside my tonsil that I had to get lanced, and the pain from this recovery so far has not been quite as severe as the pain from the abscess. On the day of my surgery when I got home, I slept for 95% of the rest of the day. Woke up around 2am in a lot of pain and had to migrate from my bed to the recliner and continued to wake up every 45 minutes or so. I think this first night was definitely the worst for me because I had packing in my nose from the sinus surgery so I had literally no choice but to breathe out of my mouth. My tongue was like sandpaper (gross I know) even though I tried to drink as frequently as possible. I did not eat anything that first day and just drank water when I could. At 8:30 the next morning I saw my ENT to get the packing removed from my nose thank God. It took most of the second day for the congestion to clear up but once it did it was a big relief for me. Day 2 I would say my pain was around a 4 or so during the day. I was able to eat some popsicles and cream of wheat which tasted like heaven. Again, the middle of the night and first thing in the morning were the worst for me. I was prescribed liquid hydrocodone and a steroid for the swelling. I alternated the hydro every 6 hours with extra strength liquid Tylenol. That seemed to help most of the time. Day 3 was pretty uneventful, tried to incorporate mashed potatoes into my diet but it made my jaw pretty tired and sore. Went to bed, woke up at like 2am again in a lot of pain so I took more meds and put ice packs on my neck which helped me go back to sleep. Today, day 4, the morning sucked as usual but once the steroid kicked in I was feeling much better. Pain was probably at a 3 most of the day. Today I was also able to leave the house to grab a couple of things from the store and made an appearance at a family gathering. I was able to eat some more “real” food there which included potato salad and a roll. After being out of the house for about 1 1/2 I was EXHAUSTED. I guess I’m still building up stamina. Tomorrow will day 5 and hopefully things continue to go smoothly. I know a lot of people say the pain is worse when the scabs fall off so I won’t be super shocked if I start to go downhill but I’m trying my best to stay positive and am overall pleasantly surprised at how well I’ve been doing!

Tonsillectomy Day 4 post op : OMG! I am dying!

Tonsillectomy Day 4 post op: Oh, so THIS is the pain everyone’s talking about.

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : Well, last night was the best night so far – which is nothing to brag about. The ear pain last night was even worse; so far, that is the nastiest part of this recovery. I did however wake up coughing due to a tickle in my throat. As most of you know, coughing and clearing your throat is a no-no…but to me, it was a yes-yes. There was absolutely nothing I could do, but cough! I was drinking water, but it wouldn’t stop. Thankfully, that didn’t trigger any bleeding! The morning was alright minus the _ _ _   _ _ _ _. That’s right; you got it, the EAR PAIN! And I ended up thinking that I made the wrong decision about just sticking to children’s Tylenol. I decided to nix the child Tylenol idea, as it was doing almost nothing for me and moved to taking extra strength Tylenol – obviously I had to crush it up and mix with it with ice cream. I got my mom to call the doctors office to see if there was anything else I could be prescribed. The doctor faxed a prescription for Percocet’s to my pharmacy and I was extremely happy. At this point I could talk a little bit, but very low and even then it hurt, so I had a pad of paper and a pen with me at all times (I guess I’m lucky I got 100% on all of the spelling bees in elementary school)! My mom came home with the Percocet’s and I could have kissed her! It said I could take 1 to 2 pills every 4 hours, but decided to start with one because I heard that they were super strong. I couldn’t swallow it so I crushed it up into applesauce and consumed it that way. Not even 10 minutes later I started getting a stomach ache and got incredibly dizzy. So dizzy that I couldn’t see straight and my eyes felt like they were crossing. My mom called the doctor’s office up and explained the symptoms. He confirmed that it was normal. NORMAL? Is that what you call normal? I felt like I was seeing double (I have glasses, so would that be considered quadruple?) Nevertheless, if I knew of the severity of the symptoms I would have battled with the codeine! I decided to lie down for about 2 hours and woke up with pain still in my stomach; I guess the only good news is the dizziness was gone. Once the Percocet wore off, I dumped the rest of the prescription in the toilet (or the majestic bowl – however you want to refer to it). I ate some chicken broth today, with a cracker that I broke up into a million pieces and softened it in the soup. I got most of it down, so it was pretty good. The ear pain was getting a little hard to manage so I decided to use ear plugs and a heating pad. Both of them together helped to muffle and alleviate the pain. As of right now, I need 2 Tylenol every 4 hours, but it does work better than the children’s Tylenol!

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : 4th morning..and I was miserable…

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : 4 days post-op and overall it’s not as bad as it could be. As long as I take the Roxicet every 4 hours (even in the middle of the night) and the steroids every morning, the pain is bearable.

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : 4 days post op and today was the worst as far as just pain. I’m attempting Mac n cheese here in 5 min. But overall the pain isn’t too bad. 🙂 but then again I’m only 4 days out.

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : To date the hardest part of the recovery are the panic attacks i get. I believe they come from my inability to clear my nasal airway. My nose has splints in it to keep the septum straight, so along with the swelling my nose is constantly  congested. The pain has not been an issue yet, but i did a little research and heard from the doctors office that the pain comes typically around days 5-10

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : Day four–out of anti-nausea meds, felt like sick again after taking pain meds. Decided to forgo the pain meds and take advil and tylenol alternating, like my doctor recommended. Throat hurt A LOT but I felt like a human being. Still not eating much, popsicles and smoothies too cold, soft boiled eggs were the BOMB!

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : Day 4- woke up in pain, felt better during day- night was painful.

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : Days 4-6: Very small, almost imperceptible, improvements each day. I was able to drop my Lortab doses from 15ml down to 10ml and even stop taking it during the days and just took Tylenol. The evenings were rough for me though, and I still needed the Lortab (hydrocodone and acetaminophen). Sleep was intermittant, and required me to get up and re-hydrate and take more Lortab. Food intake during these days was very very little. I did OK with oatmeal and instant pudding, but that’s about it. Make no mistake – these were difficult days.

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : I was able to sleep a little bit during the night. Taking the liquid benadryl helps. Pain was bad. Started to be able to feel the scabs in the back of my throat very well today. Ear pain increased a bit and chewing Dentyne Ice gum helps a bit for that. Had horrible diarrhea during the afternoon but was also relieved at the same time because it was the first time I was able to go number two since the morning of surgery. I was able to actually eat a bowl of cream of wheat today and ate some chicken broth with soggy oyster crackers in it. I get bad hiccups at times which hurt really bad. Swallowing is still very tough to do.

Tonsillectomy Day 4 : Day 4: I am out of pain meds and I want to cry. I have been taking 2 vicoden pills every four hours and it is barely helping with the pain. The pain meds are making me very tired and itchy all over so my husband has went to the doctor’s office to get me something different. The nurse at the doctor’s office told my husband that I was not going to feel better for at least a week. Wow, I feel hopeless right now. I was relieved when the hubster came home with Percocet. Percocet has worked a little better and now the pain is bearable.

Tonsillectomy Recovery

  >> Next – Recovery Day 5 >>



  1. Day 4… what day 4? Pretty much slept the entire day. Feeling better once I’ve taken my meds each time but when it goes over the 4th hour off of the oxycodone i struggle for the next 2 hours until i can take my next dose. Ate some more crunchy stuff. Toast for breakfast, chicken burger and chips for lunch and pad thai for tea. The anticipation of eating is always worse than the pain doing it. I tend to eat not long after ive taken my meds too to soften the soreness on my throat. Still no nausea to my delight. I think due to my normal diet.

  2. Day 4 and I just want this to be over and done with!! I felt better the day after surgery and have just gone down hill since. The pain in the ears is horrendous and the pain relief they have given me doesn’t seem to be working at all. Hot water bottle on my ears and a heat pack on my neck is the only thing that is working. Trying to walk around a bit but as soon as I sit down the horrendous pins and needles start in my legs even though i need to rest. I thought I would be much better by now. Still sleeping on 5 pillows!

  3. Day 4 – I thought there would be pain and suffering by now. I’m uncomfortable, but not in pain. Stool softener I took last night allowed me a small bowel movement today. I ate a baked sweet potato that I put into a food processor with butter and salt, and it tasted like candy. That was my first warm, semi-solid food. I’m not interested in rushing to solid food and risk injury yet. It looks like the scabs are starting to thin out, and I otherwise feel fine. I’m down to 10ml instead of 15ml of Lortab, and still no difference.

    I do have a recurrent bad taste in my mouth that is helped by a tongue scrapper, drinking tons of water, and brushing my teeth, but I suppose that won’t leave me for longer than an hour. Might be thrush but it doesn’t look that bad…

  4. Monday 6/4: Today is day 4 post-op, or day 5 if you count surgery day since it was in the morning – surgery was Thursday 5/31. I got the best sleep last night since the procedure! I woke up once to take my medicine, but was able to sleep through the night for the first time other than that. Since yesterday, my pain has shifted from sharp pain in my tonsils to also including aching and soreness in my jaw and ears. The first couple hours after taking my meds are fine, but then the pain gets more intense toward the end of my dose. Today my pain is about 6 or 7/10. I’ve been icing my jaw and drinking lots of water which helps quite a bit. I’ve switched from Hydro/Tylenol to just children’s Tylenol to avoid the nausea from the opioid. For me, the worst part is this ear and jaw pain today. Hopefully today is the worst, but I think I’m still managing okay.

  5. Its my 4th day since my tonsils have been removed. i woke up in pain around 5:30 this morning but so far i’m feeling okay i took my pain meds at 5:35am and haven’t taken one for 9 hours now and i’m not in that much pain. I’m 21 and this is my first surgery and this was by far the worse. I’ve lost 9 pounds because eating is hard sometimes. I miss the real food. I have to wait 14 days to eat real food again. 10 more days left and it feels like hell. I’m so hungry for real food. My pain level is at a 2 1/2 right now but the pain meds really work.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.