Tonsillectomy Secrets

Leave a comment

From Lucas

I just finished day 7. I have not had that bad of an expierence overall. I’ll tell you how I did it, and hopefully you can too. Keep in mind that there were a few points where I was in quite a bit of pain, and only once where it was excruciating, but my experience hadn’t been like any of these horror stories I’ve been reading about over and over again. Oh and I’m 23 years old, male, and I got my Palantine Tonsils removed, because of those pesky tonsil stones. 🀒 Okay so here’s a play by play of how I’ve been able to survive this with only moderate to little discomfort. Take notes. 
After my surgery I received 5/325mg of Percocet, I was told to take two every four hours, so I set 6 alarms on my phone. One for 12PM, 4PM, 8PM, 12AM, 4AM, and 8AM. Then I put those on repeat for every day. I keep my pill close so when they go off I can take them right away. I Usually break them in half, only because they feel like they get stuck in my throats and then cause acid reflux 😀 Okay So I was told NO HARD FOODS. In the first 5 days I stuck to Applesauce and ice cream only. I tried pudding, but it puts a very uncomfortable covering over the scabs, and I hate it. You will too. I keep cold water by me at all times and I’m constantly spitting. I threw up on day 1 a few times, but that was the anasthesia. My advice, take your pain pills, eat some applesauce and then go right to bed. If you’re up walking around you’ll puke, I promise. The first day is probably the easiest out of the first six days. Still take it easy. When you wake up in the night to take your meds is the most pain you’ll experience during this whole ordeal, or at least that’s how it was for me. It will be dry, it will burn, it will feel like there’s a hot iron shoved down your throat. The only thing you can do is drink cold water and wait. Take your meds and go back to sleep. Day two was worse than day 1, but it was manageable for sure. Stay hydrated and stay home. Make sure to eat soft foods as well. And brush your teeth, but don’t do it before bed, ever, do it in the morning, otherwise it dries your throat out at night. Day 3 was pretty much the same thing, I did leave the house to say goodbye to one of my friends who was deploying, im in the Air Force btw πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈBut yeah, it wasn’t too bad, I survived, and took a nap when I got home. Blah blah blah the rest of day three was just resting and eating soft foods when the pain meds kicked in and watching movies with my wife and playing Xbox. Day 4, same thing. However as the days go by it gets harder to swallow and the scabs or all the way formed and start to flake off kind of, it’s gross and the only way you can tell is you feel it. And btw, at NO POINT did I ever gargle anything. I let it come off naturally and on it’s own. Day 5 was different because I tried to make love to my wife and mid way through I started bleeding out of my throat really bad 😭😭😭 it wasn’t going to happen anyways though πŸ˜‘ But yeah when that happened I just drank some really cold water and it stopped eventually. I had some bleeding over the other few days, but nothing major, just spots here and there. Day six was the worst day so far, and that was at 4 am when I woke up for my pills my throat was on fire. It was so bad. I was paralyzed with pain, and my wife like bumped me and that knocked me out of my trance and I literally ran downstairs to the freezer grabbed some ice cubes and started crunching them right then and there. Luckily I had ice cold water in the fridge so I started guzzling that, and it really hurt, but it helped the burn. After that all you can do is wait, and I haven’t woken up like that again, however after that I started to elevate my head when I sleep, like i have three pillows under my back and head so I’m kind of just leaning back. Try to sleep with your mouth closed too, so it stays moist. And today was day seven, it wasn’t bad at all, still taking my meds, scabs haven’t fallen off yet. I woke up in pain, like every day, but no where near day six, that was the most pain I’ve ever felt in my life, hands down, but I survived, today I felt good enough to eat two packets of top ramen, after I was really feeling the meds though, no problems, and it was nice to get something sort of solid into my stomach. After all of this time I haven’t pooped, which bothers me, but I’ll justtown a gallon of apple juice tomorrow and if that doesn’t work then nothing will, I’ll just live my life without pooping. It’ll be tough to adapt too, but I’ll just have to deal with it. πŸ˜… So day 7 went by good, I feel like I kind almost see a glow, from the light at the end of the tunnel. So throughout all of these days I did feel pain, every time I swallow, I yawned once, that sucked, and waking up isn’t pretty, but 90% of the stuff I’ve read on here makes it sound like they’re dying, and I really didn’t have that. Everyone goes through things differently, but I figured maybe I did something kind of right and wanted to share it with you all. I wish you a speedy recovery, and remember to hydrate and take the medication!! βœŒπŸΌπŸ’ŠπŸ’§I hope this helps!

P.S. prepare to have HORRID breath!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.