Tonsillectomy Day 8

Tonsillectomy Recovery Day by Day

 Day 8

A collection of various experiences of adult tonsillectomy patients on their eighth day of recovery

Check out our new tonsillectomy recovery video- Caution: Not always pretty

Please feel free to add your own experience with tonsillectomy day 8.

Tonsillectomy Day 8
Tonsillectomy Day 8

-Greg Tooke 

Tonsillectomy Day 8 : Crying. Just… Crying

Tonsillectomy Day 8 : So I woke up this morning with a dry throat. I wasn’t able to sleep more than 30 minutes at a time without coughing. Even while drinking water, my throat has been so dry, it’s like it just isn’t staying moist. I got so fed up, I asked my mom to go buy me a humidifier today. I know I’m a little late, I should have had it from the beginning, but I guess I thought I really didn’t need it. My post-op appointment is in 1 week and I really can’t wait. I definitely have a few questions to ask him! So, I finally got the nerve up to look into my throat, and even though it was a little hard to see, I do see a lot of gray areas. I thought I lost more scabs than I see in my throat, so I was wondering whether or not all of the gray areas are scabs, or if some of it is not scabs. I was told that it is all scabs, so I guess the scabs are going to take longer to fall off than I thought. So, I thought I was doing really well today and then all of a sudden my throat started squeezing really tightly when I swallowed. I slept for about an hour and woke up and it was gone. After talking to my dad who has dealt with panic attacks his whole life, he confirmed that he has had the same thing before and it is in fact mini panic attacks. Great, panic attacks – that’s all I need! I had one in the afternoon and then another one at night. The best way for me to deal with it is to sleep through it.

Tonsillectomy Day 8 : day 8..I thought someone had tried to bite off the back of my tongue and tried to scrape the white spots off with a nail filer…Also my feet were swelling, and I began to have a migraine and vomit, I was afraid i was going to rip my stitches..they had become so big me and my bf had named them “shrek ” feet

Tonsillectomy Day 8 : day 8 today and I felt terrible when I woke up! The pain was like a bruised/burning pain. I also feel like I have hay fever(which I don’t). However it’s now lunchtime and I feel considerably better. It feels like day 7 which I can cope with. Hoping day 10 will be the major turnaround day. I swear this feels like the longest recovery!

Tonsillectomy Day 8 : Day 8. 33 yrs old. Thanks for the info on the swollen tongue and the marks on it from my teeth. That makes total sense!! My throat feels much better, but the difficulty in eating seems to be coming from the underside of my tongue and my jaw. I will continue to take it easy in hopes that everything will continue to heal up. Im down 12 pounds. Its going to be hard not to put all of the weight back on. I’m starving!! lol

Tonsillectomy Day 8 : Days 8 – today – Pain has slowly begun to decrease, however, it’s remained at about a 3/4 for the last two days. However, my body has slowly begun to feel better. I feel like a human again. That’s a refreshing feeling.

Tonsillectomy Day 8 : Days 8-10–able to eat a little bit more everyday, but it was different every day. Pudding and mac & cheese were good one day, bad the next. Chicken noodle soup was also good, couldn’t eat anymore jello 😛 Throat still sore, still doing the Advil/Tylenol rotation. Waiting for scabs to fall off, but throat still all white.

Tonsillectomy Day 8 : Day 8, Ok I am feeling much better. Last night was rough. I had taken my pain meds around 11:30 PM , and around 12:15 my earache was unbearable. I had a problem eating yesterday. I just wanted to eat a Popsicle. I got down on my knees and prayed to God to let the pain go away so i could eat. A few minutes later, the pain in my ears subsided (Thanks God!). I ate 2 Popsicles.

Tonsillectomy Day 8 :Day 8- while I felt really crappy all day long I stayed home all day & rested and this evening I feel just a lil better.

Tonsillectomy Day 8 : Recovery Day 8 (post-op day 9):
Had another relapse of pain today on my right side and into my right ear. At this point I am just so exhausted from lack of sleep and lack of proper food. I had my post-op appointment with my surgeon today. He said i still have a ways to go but it is beginning to heal. He said my tonsils were extremely large and that the tonsil beds (where the tonsils were) that are now left behind are so massive that it will take extra time to heal since there is so much damaged tissue back there from the cauterization. I was able to eat some of a baked potato today with cheese and bacon.




 >> Next – Tonsillectomy Recovery Day 9 >>


427 thoughts on “Tonsillectomy Day 8

  1. Gosh, I have followed this site since day one. Its been very helpful. Pretty much spot on. Worst surgery ever. But slowly recovering. Its weird how you can go from good to back to bad with hours. Got some peas and mashed potatoes down today. I had a lot of pain but what was the worst for me and the Dr did not warn me was the swelling and the drainage. UGGHH That I would choke to death. I see my surgeon tomorrow. Excited to find out how I am progressing to get over this nightmare.

  2. Its day 8 16 years old and im feeling nauseous that could be becaise of pain meda on and empty stomach but i just can get anything down. My right side is the issue with sore jaw and really bad ear pains and stinging in the throat sometimes,and my left side is perfectly fine. Can someone give me some advice i just can handle it any more,when is it going to get better?

    1. Hang in their Kaitlyn! This is temporary. Day 8 was my very worst day. Keep trying to take a little food with the pain meds. Cream soups worked for me.

  3. I’m on day 8, and feeling much better starting on day 7. I reduced my pain meds to every 6 hours from 4 hours, but I added in Tylenol. I know the prescription will be running out soon, and I want to try to stretch it as long as I can. I still have thick white scabs. But, it appears they are starting to recede from the sides. I have not spit any of them out yet, so I guess I’m just starting to swallow them. I started on mashed potatoes yesterday which was a real treat. But, I’m still going to stay with soup broth as much as I can. My ear pain comes and goes, but seems to be less and less everyday. I still feel like my throat is swollen, and I wish is would go down more. I was hoping the swelling would all be gone by now. Talking is very painful, and this part of it took me by total surprise. I had no idea this would affect my voice so much. I’m at the point where I’m getting bored and want to do stuff, but afraid of a set-back if I do too much. I’m a 54 y/o male, and even with the pain, so happy I made this choice. I’ve been on antibiotic’s and OTC drugs for the past 20 years, and it was enough. I feel a few things that I did right was to have 2 humidifiers going at all times. I drank tons of water, regardless of the pain, starting right after surgery. And for the first week, I kept a schedule by staying on my pain meds every 4 hours. I also set an alarm every 2 hours to get up and drink something. I’m just counting down the days and hoping to have more progress by day 14.

  4. I’m on day 8 if you count the surgery day. Yesterday was great and I was able to run errands in the afternoon. I even treated myself to a fried ice cream and had a little chips and salsa. I know that it’s not recommended but I was craving something crunchy and tasty. I didn’t take ant pain meds until late yesterday and I had a baf headache.. Today I woke up with the right side of my throat hurting pretty bad. I’m a little nauseous from the pain med i took this morning even after taking it with Phenergan. Today was supposed to be my last day off work and I planned on enjoying iy so it’s a bit of a bummer that I had to take a pain pill and can’t drive now.. Does anyone know how long the second set of onset pain is supposed to last? I’m assuming thr scabs may be coming off and that’s what has triggered the pain.

  5. Finally a current blog!! Day 6, I’m 48 Years old. I set my alarm every hour to drink and take pain meds every four. I woke up with the worst burning pain I’ve felt to the back of my throat . Flushed, no fever but excruciating pain. I’m finding if I warm up my ears the tightness and burning subsides? I’m on Tylenol around the clock and 5 mg. Of Oxycodone I only have two days left and don’t feel like I can’t do this with out strong pain meds. I’ve been to emerg once already for a refill, I’m starting to feel a little wimpy but that’s truly not my character. This is awful and not for the faint at heart. Ugh, I hope everyone is doing ok and healing quick. Ps. My scabs aren’t thinning out, still yellow and super thick? I’m not sure if this is good or bad, maybe indifferent? I know I want them to stay on as long as they can. Thanks for the ears, Carell

    1. Hey Carell! Your experience sounds just like mine. Hang in there. It will get better!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.