Tips For Tonsillectomy Recovery
1. Drink fluids
2. Drink cold fluids
3. Drink more cold fluids! A steady flow of cool liquid is probably the most important thing to speed your tonsillectomy recovery.
4. Get a good cool air humidifier and run it all the time.
5. Don’t worry about sleep. Forget the normal time convention. Sleep for short intervals, preferably in a recliner. Sleep can be your worst enemy. Sleeping a few hours in a bed usually results in a dry throat that hurts like crazy. It can take almost an hour to get the pain back under control.
6. Keep a written log of your medications as you take them. It’s easy to forget what you’ve taken and when. If you would have problems that require help from the doctor, it can come in handy.
7. Read about others’ experiences and share your own. (Check out the tonsillectomy surgery forum)
8. Plan ahead! Stock up on items you’ll need ahead of time for your tonsillectomy recovery.
9. Take something with your pain medicine. Carnation Instant Breakfast or Ensure will at least provide a base in your stomach and reduce nausea.
10. Plan some minor events. Even a simple event like a walk or a bath can take your mind off the discomfort and help your mindset during tonsillectomy recovery
11. Chew sugarless gum. When pain gets referred to the ears, and it often does, chewing gum can ease the ear pain. It also keeps the swallowing process active, which many believe aids in tonsillectomy recovery.
Those are my top tonsillectomy recovery tips. For a detailed daily checklist, check out my upcoming book.
I’ve put together a collection of items that I think would be helpful, if not essential, to making tonsillectomy recovery a little more pleasant. Check out the Tonsillectomy Recovery General Store.
-Greg My short bio